October 2 – 13, 2017 in Daugavpils, Latvia
Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre invites artists to apply for the IV International Textile and Fiber Art Symposium organized within the frame of Rothko Centre’s residence program. The Symposium will take place in Daugavpils fortress, which is the monument of cultural heritage. It is characterized not only by significant historical facts, but also by interesting streets, courtyards and people. The interior of the fortress is planned by the traditional samples of military cities – there is a main square in the center, surrounded with administrative buildings and residential quarters. The unique architecture of the fortress creates a colorful world and special atmosphere on the bank of the Daugava River.
Place and time of the Symposium: Daugavpils, Latvia, October 2 – 13, 2017
Participants of the Symposium: 11 professional textile artists will take part in the symposium. The selection of participants will be competition-based, taking into consideration the submitted materials (application form, CV, and visual information which satisfies the below mentioned requirements).
Selection committee of the symposium participants:
- Baiba Priedīte – artist, symposium curator
- Viktorija Kozlovska – artist (Latvia)
- Laima Oržekauskienė (Artist, Professor, Kaunas Biennial (Lithuania)
- Pēteris Sidars – artist (Latvia)
- Julie Abijanac – artist (USA)
- Raija Jokinen – artist (Finland)
- Covering of residence expenses in Daugavpils (catering, accommodation);
- Studios (several artists may work in one studio);
- Basic materials and tools for work;
- Publicity opportunities (possibilities to present artists’ creative works; information in mass media; a symposium catalogue);
- Recreation, tours around the city and surroundings, visits of art and culture institutions of Daugavpils)
- Final symposium exhibition (opening on October 13, 2017).
- Covering of travel expenses to Daugavpils and back;
- Specific materials and tools for work;
- Donation of at least two artwork created during the symposium to Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre.
Applications must be submitted electronically till March 31, 2017. Applications submitted after March 31, 2017 will not be considered.
To apply for Symposium, applicant has to complete ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM.
Additional files should be attached to the application:
- Portfolio (photos of at least seven (7) works, these works must be completed in the last 3 years). Other informative materials (catalogues, postcards, etc.) may be attached in electronic format.
To submit the attachment, please upload the abovementioned files to Dropbox, Google Drive, WeTransfer etc., and provide link in the required field within the Registration Form.
The Symposium Jury will consider the applications, and selected artists will receive invitations to participate in the Symposium after April 24, 2017. The invited participants should confirm their participation within 5 days after receiving the invitation.
Contact person: Baiba Priedite