Change of originals at the Rothko Centre
Throughout the day on Sunday, 27 March, visitors to the Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre will be able to see Mark Rothko’s originals free of charge.
After a three-year period, the time has come to change the latest set of Mark Rothko’s originals that have been available at the Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre. The small five-work exhibition in the Rothko Room traced the radical development of the artist’s creativity throughout his career: from the early figurative paintings of the 1920s through the transition period in the 1940s to his revolutionary “classical” period of the 1950s and 1960s.
On 27 March, visitors to the Rothko Centre will have the last chance to see the latest set of original paintings by Mark Rothko from the private collections of his son Christopher and daughter Kate:
“Self-Portrait”, 1936 (Christopher Rothko’s Collection)
“Room in Karnak”, 1946 (Christopher Rothko’s Collection)
“Aeolian Harp”/No 7, 1946 (Christopher Rothko’s Collection)
Untitled, 1948 (Kate Rothko Prizel’s Collection)
Untitled (Brown on Red), 1964 (Kate Rothko Prizel’s Collection).
While the new set of Rothko’s originals is on its way to Latvia, the Rothko Room will undergo a small reconstruction. Nine years since the opening, the space needs to be refreshed before it receives the next original paintings by Mark Rothko. In the meantime, the permanent exhibition hall will offer museum-quality reproductions of Rothko’s works and a comprehensive exhibition from the Rothko Centre collection – “Found in the Collection”. Opening hours on 27 March: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.