INTERNATIONAL PAINTING SYMPOSIUM “ MARK ROTHKO 2017 ”
September 11-22, 2017, Daugavpils
Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre invites artists to participate in the International Painting Symposium „Mark Rothko 2017”organized in the framework of Rothko Centre’s Residence Program. The “Mark Rothko 2017” Symposium will take place in Daugavpils – the city known to the world as the birthplace of Mark Rothko, a world-renowned artist, founder of abstract expressionism.
On September 22, the exhibition of artworks created during the Symposium will be opened at the Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre.
Aims of the Symposium:
- By recognizing the artistic heritage of Mark Rothko, to draw attention to Daugavpils, as the birthplace of the artist.
- To foster interest in Daugavpils creative environment.
- To increase the collection of Art Centre by artworks of symposium participants.
Place and time of the symposium: Daugavpils, Latvia, September 11-22, 2017
Participants of the symposium: 11 professional artists will take part in the symposium. The selection of participants will be competition-based, taking into consideration the submitted materials (application form, CV, and visual information which satisfies the below mentioned requirements).
Selection committee of the symposium participants:
- Māris Čačka– artist, symposium curator, Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre
- Valentīns Petjko– artist, art theorist, Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre
- Marek Radke– artist (Germany);
- Lars Strandh– artist (Norway);
- Silva Veronika Linarte– artist (Latvia);
- Anita Meldere– artist (Latvia).
- Covering of the residence expenses in Daugavpils (catering, accommodation);
- Studios (several artists may work in one studio);
- Basic materials and tools for work;
- Publicity opportunities (possibilities to present artists’ creative works; information in mass media; a symposium catalogue);
- Recreation, tours around the city and surroundings, visits of art and culture institutions of Daugavpils);
- Final symposium exhibition (opening on September 22, 2017).
- Covering of the travel expenses to Daugavpils and back;
- Specific materials and tools for work;
- Donation of at least two artworks created during the symposium to Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre.
Applications must be submitted electronically till March 31, 2017. Applications submitted after March 31, 2017 will not be considered.
To apply for Symposium, applicant has to complete ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM.
Additional files should be attached to the application:
- Portfolio (photos of at least seven (7) works, these works must be completed in the last 3 years). Other informative materials (catalogues, postcards, etc.) may be attached in electronic format.
To submit the attachment, please upload the abovementioned files to Dropbox, Google Drive, WeTransfer etc., and provide link in the required field within the Registration Form.
The Symposium Jury will consider the applications, and selected artists will receive invitations to participate in the Symposium after April 24, 2017. The invited participants should confirm their participation within 5 days after receiving the invitation.