International Painting Symposium „Mark Rothko 2022”
September 2 – 16, 2022, Daugavpils
Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre invites artists to participate in the International Painting Symposium „Mark Rothko 2022” organized in the framework of Rothko Centre’s Residence Program. The “Mark Rothko 2022” Symposium will take place in Daugavpils – the city known to the world as the birthplace of Mark Rothko, a world-renowned artist, founder of abstract expressionism.
Aims of the Symposium:
- By recognizing the artistic heritage of Mark Rothko, to draw attention to Daugavpils, as the birthplace of the artist.
- To foster interest in Daugavpils creative environment.
- To increase the collection of the Art Centre by artworks of symposium participants.
Place and time of the symposium: Daugavpils, Latvia, September 2 – 16, 2022
Participants of the symposium: 10 professional artists will take part in the symposium. The selection of participants will be competition-based, taking into consideration the submitted materials (application form, CV, and visual information which meets the below mentioned requirements).
- Covering of the residence expenses in Daugavpils (catering, accommodation);
- Studios (several artists may work in one studio);
- Basic materials and tools for work;
- Publicity opportunities (possibilities to present artists’ creative works; information in mass media; a symposium catalogue);
- Recreation (tours around the city and surroundings, visits of art and culture institutions of Daugavpils);
- Final symposium exhibition (opening on September 16, 2022).
- Covering of the travel expenses to Daugavpils and back;
- Specific materials and tools for work;
- Donation of at least two artworks created during the symposium to Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre.
To apply for Symposium, applicant has to complete ONLINE APPLICATION FORM till May 1, 2022. Applications submitted after May 1, 2022 will not be considered.
The Symposium Jury will consider the applications, and selected artists will receive invitations to participate in the Symposium after May 20, 2022. The invited participants should confirm their participation within 5 days after receiving the invitation.