IV INTERNATIONAL PAINTING PLEIN AIR „VALDIS BUŠS 2020”
2020 July 13 – 23, Vilaka
Viļaka Municipality in collaboration with Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre encourages artists to apply for participation in the International Painting Plein Air ”Valdis Bušs 2020“, held within artists residence programme by Mark Rothko Art Centre. The Plein Air “Valdis Bušs 2020” will take place in Viļaka, which is a town in eastern Latvia well-known for its rich history and Valdis Bušs – the master of Latvian landscape who originally came from the Viļaka region.
On 23 July – an exhibition of art work created during the Plein Air will be opened in Viļaka Centre for Culture and Creative Industries.
Objectives of the Plein Air:
- Drawing on awareness of the uniqueness of Valdis Bušs’ artistic heritage to pay attention to Viļaka as the artist’s native town;
- To promote interest in Viļaka as artistically stimulating town with the prospect of creating it into a place of residences for plein airs;
- To supplement collection of the future Valdis Bušs Art Center in Viļaka (until foundation of the Centre these works will be stored in Viļaka County Museum).
Place and time of the Plein Air: Viļaka, Latvia, 2020, 13 – 23 July
Participants of the Plein Air: Six professional artists will participate in the Plein Air. Participants will be selected by means of a contest procedure on basis of materials submitted (application form, resume and visual information provided pursuant to the provisions referred to below).
Committee for selection of the Plein Air participants:
- Elita Teilāne – an artist, curator of the Plein Air, director of Balvi School of Arts
- Māris Čačka – artist, co-curator of the Plein Air, Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre
- Valentīns Petjko – artist, art theorist, Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre
- Nimet Keser – artist, professor (Turkey)
- Ričardas Garbačiauskas – artist, professor (Lithuania)
- Giedrė Riškutė– artist (Lithuania)
Organizers of the Plein Air cover:
- Travel expenses to Viļaka and back;
- Living costs of artists in Viļaka (meals and a hotel (several people staying in one room, shared bathroom, a bath-house available);
- Work premises (several artists working in one room);
- Materials and tools for work (canvases and paints);
- Publicity (a presentation of creative work, information in mass media, an issue of the Plein Air catalogue);
- Recreation facilities, tours around Viļaka and Balvi and their surroundings, art and culture establishments in Daugavpils – a visit to Mark Rothko Art Centre;
- Final exhibition (Opening on 23 July 2020).
- Specific work materials and tools (including brushes)
- Donation of at least two art works created during the Plein Air to the collection of the future Valdis Bušs Art Centre in Viļaka.
- Travel costs from home country to Riga (Latvia) and back.
To apply for Plein Air, applicant has to complete ONLINE APPLICATION FORM till April 24, 2020. Applications submitted after April 24, 2020 will not be considered.
The Jury will consider the applications, and selected artists will receive invitations to participate in the Symposium after April 30, 2020. The invited participants should confirm their participation within 5 days after receiving the invitation.