August 4-18, 2017, Daugavpils, Latvia
Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre and Daugavpils Clay Art Centre invite artists to participate in the 5th International Ceramic Art Symposium CERAMIC LABORATORY organized in the framework of Rothko Centre’s Residence Program and the Latvia International Contemporary Ceramics Festival.
Seven teams of two artists each (14 participants) are invited to participate in the Creative Program of the Symposium. Within the framework of the CERAMIC LABORATORY, inspired by Latvian nature, cultural space and personal experience, participants will be invited to create 7 unique ceramic fire sculptures (max. dimensions 120x60x60 cm). While selecting participants the advantage will be given to international teams.
Up to 10 artists and/or scholars are invited to apply for the Lecture and Workshop Program of the Symposium.
Aim of the Symposium: To create unique largescale contemporary ceramic artworks, developing an international communication platform in the field of ceramic art.
Place and time of the symposium: Daugavpils, Latvia, August 4-18, 2017
FORMS OF PARTICIPATION:
- Creative Program
7 teams of 2 artists each (14 participants) are invited to participate in the Creative Program of the Symposium and to create 7 unique ceramic fire sculptures (max. dimensions 120x60x60 cm). While selecting participants the advantage will be given to international teams.
Duration of Creative program – August 4-18, 2017
- Lecture Program
Scholars and students are invited to participate in Lecture Program of the Symposium with a public lectures and presentations dedicated to contemporary ceramics and history of ceramics.
Duration of Lecture program – August 15-18, 2017
- Workshop Program
Ceramic artists are invited to participate in Workshop Program of the Symposium with public workshops for Symposium visitors and participants.
Duration of Workshop program – August 4-18, 2017
Applicants may apply for multiple Symposium Programs at the same time.
Māris Čačka – artist, art-director at Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre
Eugenia Loginova – ceramic artist, Latvia
Jacob Meudt – ceramic artist, USA
David Jones – ceramic artist, United Kingdom
Mohamad Soudy – ceramic artist, Egypt
Irina Razumovskaya – ceramic artist, Russia/United Kingdom
Reyaz Badaruddin – ceramic artist, India
Jakub Biewald – ceramic artist, Poland
- Residency expenses in Daugavpils (catering, accommodation);
- Working place;
- Basic materials and tools for work;
- Recreation, tours around the city and surroundings, visits to art and culture institutions of Daugavpils;
- Symposium opening exhibition;
- Final symposium exhibition.
- Covering of the travel expenses to Daugavpils and back;
- Specific materials and tools for work;
- Donation of an artwork from the opening exhibition to Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre;
- Donation of ceramic fire sculpture created during the symposium.
Applications must be submitted electronically till March 31, 2017. Applications submitted after March 31, 2017 will not be considered.
- To apply for Symposium Creative Program (creating fire sculptures), applicant has to complete CREATIVE PROGRAM ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM.
Additional files should be attached to the application:
- Sketches and description (if necessary) of ceramic fire sculpture;
- Portfolio (at least 7 images of recently created works during previous 3 years).
Other related documents, such as catalogues, posters etc. may be attached to the application.
To submit the attachment, please upload the abovementioned files to Dropbox, Google Drive, WeTransfer etc., and provide link in the required field within the Registration Form.
- To apply for Symposium Lecture Program and/or Workshop Program, applicant has to complete LECTURE AND WORKSHOP PROGRAM ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM.
The Symposium Jury will consider the applications, and selected artists will receive invitations to participate in the 5th International Ceramic Art Symposium after April 24, 2017. The invited participants should confirm their participation within 5 days after receiving the invitation.