International Painting Symposium “Mark Rothko 2016”
September 13-25, 2016, Daugavpils
Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre invites artists to participate in the International Painting Symposium „Mark Rothko 2016”organized in the framework of Rothko Centre’s Residence Program. The “Mark Rothko 2016” Symposium will take place in Daugavpils – the city known to the world as the birthplace of Mark Rothko, a world-renowned artist, founder of abstract expressionism.
On September 25, the birthday of Mark Rothko, the exhibition of artworks created during the Symposium will be opened at the Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre.
Aims of the Symposium:
- By recognizing the artistic heritage of Mark Rothko, to draw attention to Daugavpils, as the birthplace of the artist.
- To foster interest in Daugavpils creative environment.
- To increase the collection of Art Centre by artworks of symposium participants.
Place and time of the symposium: Daugavpils, Latvia, September 13-25, 2016
Participants of the symposium: 11 professional artists will take part in the symposium. The selection of participants will be competition-based, taking into consideration the submitted materials (application form, CV, and visual information which satisfies the below mentioned requirements).
Selection committee of the symposium participants:
- Māris Čačka – artist, symposium curator, Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre
- Valentīns Petjko – artist, art theorist, Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre
- Marek Radke – artist (Germany);
- Lars Strandh – artist (Norway);
- Silva Veronika Linarte – artist (Latvia);
- Anita Meldere – artist (Latvia).
- Covering of the residence expenses in Daugavpils (catering, accommodation);
- Studios (several artists may work in one studio);
- Basic materials and tools for work;
- Publicity opportunities (possibilities to present artists’ creative works; information in mass media; a symposium catalogue);
- Recreation, tours around the city and surroundings, visits of art and culture institutions of Daugavpils);
- Final symposium exhibition (opening on September 25, 2016).
- Covering of the travel expenses to Daugavpils and back;
- Specific materials and tools for work;
- Donation of at least two artworks created during the symposium to Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre.
Applications have to be submitted electronically to e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org till March 7, 2016
- APPLICATION FORM (Download);
- Presentation materials on artistic activity: portfolio (at least 7 images of artworks created during previous 3 years). Other informative materials in electronic format can be attached (catalogues, postcards etc.)
The symposium organizers will consider applications and send invitations to the International Painting Symposium till March 15, 2016.
Applications submitted after March 7, 2016 will not be assessed.
Confirmation of participation:
The invited participants confirm their participation within 5 days after receiving the invitation, but no later than March 20, 2016